Monday, September 22, 2008

Here's the scratchy lead-in part of the groove...

In an earlier life - back when a great night out consisted of getting high and wandering through the aisles of one or both of the two Tower Records within striking distance of my home - I, like many others, spent what was then a small fortune collecting vinyl records. Unlike many who have since seen reason I still have all of them. Not only the 3,000+ LPs, but a good half-thousand 45s, several hundred 78s and some 16 & 2/3 RPM radio discs (wish me luck turning them into digital files).

What's a middle-aged man also living with a couple of thousand CDs doing with all of this vinyl, you ask? That question almost answers itself if you stop to think of it: moving them from place to place - and not much else. I've hardly set stylus to plastic in a half a decade... but that's about to change. By "about to" I mean within the next few months, if luck holds.

I've browsed through several hundred other music blogs over the past few months, some far out of my technical league, some an absolute delight and some just hatchet jobs. I'll most likely borrow some of the parts that have been a help or pleasure for me to use and maybe make this a spot you'll drop in and visit every so often. I hope so... it's what will make the effort worthwhile.

Having invested in a new turntable with a USB umbilical cord, I'm prepared to begin the process of converting them to a form more easily moved (and accessed) and will be putting some of it out there for others to hear, rather like I did for friends who would come to visit for an evening of audio weirdness until they staggered out my door while I, trying to play just one more section of the evening's long, spiraled groove for them would call out "Wait! Wait! Just listen to this and then go!"

No comments: